Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Ah....FIVE FINGERS !

Generally, when we speak Five Fingers in our field, One brand comes in mind. Invented in 1999 by Robert Fliri, a design student who wanted to "figure out a way to move around in nature better." Vibram FiveFingers were developed and introduced in 2005.


Okay, I won't bore you with any biomechanics, nor good or bad, neither minimalism nor lawsuits from or against the brand Vibram. Wikipedia and running forums seem to be the right addresses for all of this.

Even if I would, I could have mentioned the beautiful craftmanship of those Vibram shoes, the precise patern engineering whitnessing through quality the time spent in between the first prototype to the first product delivery.

I could have written about how Vibram made afficionados along the way.... Adidas quality is certainly out of question, but  shape wise, it looks to me difficult to paralell the Italian/american patern engineering secrets.
I could have also spent time writing about another Vibram's friend FILA and....

I could at least spend more time speaking of this second skin, fully made in urethane or TPU and injected by our british friends at INOV8.

In fact, The reason of this article lies in a personal discovery when I visited the imperial war Museum in London in july 2012. In theWWII section, precisely in the british/japanese sector, I discovered the unbelievable piece of footwear.

Having lost the picture of my discovery, I ask the courtesy of my Good Friend Yves, to investigate for me the mystery of the WWII five finger shoe. Here's what he sent to me.



In the field the royal secret agents were also given these overshoes (above) to disguise their footprints. They were especially useful in the Pacific where Japanese path-finders would mistake the prints for barefoot natives.

Thank you Yves for your support and fast inquiery.


The story doesn't tell if student Robert Fliri visited this section of the Imperial war Museum...






No comments:

Post a Comment